The codex is widely considered one of the most original of extant medieval mahsorim from Spain, dating probably from the beginning of the 14th century Written in Sefardic square characters, it contains two distinct parts which later were bound together. The larger part forms a Haggadah shel Pessah, including Piyutim for Passover and the Aramaic Targum of Exodus, followed by liturgical poetry for Shavuot and Sukkot. Most characteristic is the way key words of the liturgy are illustrated, the characters being transformed into zoomorphic and anthropomorphic grotesque creatures, a fashion that was widespread in medieval Jewish manuscripts in Spain. Originally, the manuscript belonged to the famous collection of manuscripts and incunabula owned by Alexander Earl of Hamilton which was acquired in 1882 by Prussia. Since1919, the Hebrew items are in the holdings of the Oriental Department of the State Library in Berlin.